Ah, the golden hour glow that we all know and love! Its enchanting beauty is unmatchable and the perfect time of day to take that Instagram worthy selfie. But we have just the perfect, easy-to-use makeup tricks to take your sunset selfie to the next level. Learn how to make the most of the golden hour and achieve the perfect look with our golden hour glam makeup tutorial!
1. Unlock the Secrets of Golden Hour Glam
- Invest in a good highlighting palette – golden hour brings out all the best in your skin, so why not give it a little helping hand? Choose shades that match your skin or give you a warm, sun-kissed glow.
- Stock up on bronze eye shadow – warm toned eyeshadows bring out the sunkissed flecks of colour in the iris, and a wash of bronze paired with mattes for definition will have you looking like you’ve just stepped off a beach.
- Switch up your mascara – during golden hour, opt for a volumising formula to really draw focus to your eyes.
Taking care of your skin is an important part of unlocking the secrets of golden hour glam. Invest in a high quality SPF for everyday use and add a luminous glow with a highlighter stick. You can get a soft, sun-drenched look with just a few strokes of the stick applied directly over your base makeup for a subtle shimmery finish that will catch the light.
The key to a golden hour look lies in the details, and hair is no exception. Soft wavy styles are perfect for when the light is warm and glowing. Beachy waves can be easily achieved with just a few spritzes of sea salt spray and a styling iron. For an even lighter touch, try twisting sections of your hair in different directions and pinning them in place for a relaxed, tousled look. Make sure to seal everything with a light mist of hairspray for a lasting finish.
2. Preparing the Perfect Sunset Makeup
Creating little masterpieces of makeup never looked so stylish. And you can do it just in time for a sunset. Here’s what you need:
- Foundation in your shade.
- Eyeshadow in shades of pink, gold, and bronze.
- Blush of your choice.
- Eyeliner and mascara.
- Lipstick and lippie of your choice.
Start with a perfect base. Cover any imperfections with foundation, and make sure to go up to the edges of your forehead and chin. A bit of concealer and powder will complete the look.
On your eyes, create a blissful and smokey look. Soft pinks and golds create a subtle eye, and you can sift in a bit of bronze if you would like to go for something a bit dramatic. A thick line of eyeliner, lush lashes, and a few coats of mascara are the finishing touches.
Add a pop of color. On your cheeks, use blush that gives your face a rosy and luscious look. Dust in a bit of highlighter on your cheeks and create a healthy glow.
Finally, complete your look with a color-popping lipstick. A clear gloss will take it to the next level. Now you are ready to take on the setting sun, and look picture perfect while doing so!
3. Techniques to Achieve the Outdoor Glow
Self-Tanners – The quickest and safest way to transport your beauty to the beach? Apply a self-tanning lotion or spray to your skin for a natural-looking, long-lasting tan. These products come in a variety of shades, so you can choose one that complements your skin tone. You should also look for a product that is oil- and fragrance-free, so your skin can soak up the product without feeling greasy or smothered.
Sun Protection – Be sure to slather on some sunscreen too– no tanning routine is complete without it! UV rays can cause damage to your skin, like wrinkles and age spots, but with the help of sunscreen you can keep your skin looking beautiful and healthy. Just make sure the SPF level protects you from both UVA and UVB rays. And don’t forget to reapply every few hours.
Create Natural Shimmer – You can create a natural, dewy glow by using a moisturizer with a hint of shimmer, applied over the cheekbones, and along the décolletage area. If you’re feeling a bit daring, you can also try some shimmery eyeshadow. Layer the shades from lightest to darkest for a subtle, yet noticeable impact.
Play Up Your Hair – Give your hair a natural-looking lift by using a lightweight mousse and by styling it in lighty tousled waves. After your hair is styled, spritz some sea salt spray to create an effortless-looking beachy texture.
Add Color to Your Face – A bronzer can help you achieve the perfect outdoor glow. Use a matte bronzer and brush it lightly to the apples of your cheeks, and along your temples and jaw line. If you want to go a bit further you can add a touch of blush with a hint of shimmer to the apples of your cheeks.
4. Tips to Master the Golden Hour Look
It’s no secret among photographers that capturing Golden Hour shots can be one of the most rewarding experiences. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out, here are some tips to help you master the Golden Hour look:
- Know Your Camera Settings: Knowing how to use your camera takes practice and experimentation. Get to know your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings and how they work together to create the desired effect.
- Light it Up: Natural light makes all the difference. If possible, use a reflector or bounce card to create a softer, more balanced light. For a dramatic look, add a bit of fill flash to the mix.
- Time It Right: Everything about the Golden Hour is about timing. Make sure you’re in the right spot at the right moment to catch those precious, fleeting beams of light.
- Pick the Right Location: A great Golden Hour shot is all about being in the right place at the right time. You don’t need to travel to exotic locations to get your shot – but you do need to find the perfect spot in whatever area you choose.
- Find the Angle: Don’t just settle for the first shot you take. Get creative and explore different angles and perspectives to find the one that really gets you the best image.
Most importantly, let your creativity and experimentation be your guide when it comes to shooting the Golden Hour. Over time, you’ll hone in on your signature style that will make your shots stand out from the rest.
No matter what the season or the occasion, golden hour glam is always an easy way to achieve a beautiful sunset-inspired look. Just a few simple steps can elevate any makeup to the next level and make your best features shine. So take a deep breath, grab your favorite products and dive right in–after all, the sunset is only a few steps away!