If you want to achieve a beautiful, flawless makeup look with stunning highlighter and contour, then it is essential that you choose makeup shades that complement your skin tone. Finding the perfect shade for your contour can feel intimidating, but with a few easy tips you can confidently pick the right tone for you. Read on to find out more about how to select the perfect contour shades for your skin tone.
1. Picking the Perfect Shade of Contour for Your Skin
When it comes to makeup, having a perfectly defined, contoured face is sure to make you look more polished and put-together. However, picking the right shades of contour for your skin is no easy feat! Here, we’ll be discussing tips on how to select the most flattering shades for you:
- Know your undertone: Before you begin your journey to contour perfection, it’s important to understand your skin’s undertone. Understanding your undertone will help decide which tones of makeup will be the most suitable. If your undertone is cool, then choose shades of contour that are taupe, gray, and ash. For warm undertones, choose shades with a hint of red and a hint of gold.
- Choose the right tone: After figuring out your undertone, find colors that will blend seamlessly. Avoid colors that are too light or too dark as they may be too harsh and obvious. Instead, choose bronzing powder and contour color that is two shades darker than your natural skin tone. Also, you can use either a matte or shimmer-based powder, depending on the coverage and look you’re hoping to achieve.
- Try mixing shades: Don’t be afraid to mix shades that seem too light or too dark. You can use an angled brush to blend the too-light contour powder away from your face for a less dramatic look. Similarly, if a contour powder seems too dark, you can use a buffer brush to buff and blend the powder into your skin until it appears more natural.
Be Soft: Remember that your makeup look should be effortless and natural. You don’t want your contour lines to appear too harsh. Try applying the contour powder with soft, circular motions to make your contours blend in seamlessly and look more flattering.
Take Your Time: It often takes a bit of trial and error to get your contour look just right. Don’t be discouraged if the first contour color you try isn’t the best fit. You can always experiment with different shades until you find the perfect one. Taking the extra time to get the shade just right will pay off and you will be absolutely radiant!
2. Understanding Your Undertones
Your skin tone is usually determined by the amount of melanin it produces. However, underlying your skin tone is your undertone, which can be either warm, cool, or neutral. Determining your undertone is an important part of finding the perfect make up shade.
- If you have a cool undertone, your veins are likely to appear bluish in color.
- Your skin tends to burn easily in the sun and you may have a porcelain complexion.
- You’re best suited to cool colors, like pale pink, dark purple, icy blue, and mauve.
- If you have a warm undertone, your veins appear greenish in color.
- Your skin has a yellow or golden hue, and you usually tan easily.
- Look for colors such as creamy beige, golden yellow, warm pink, and orange.
- If you have a neutral undertone, your veins appear an even mix of green and blue.
- Your skin is neither too light nor too dark, and you can usually pull off both warm and cool colors.
- Find your perfect hue among earth tones like olive green, khaki brown, and orange-red.
Remember that your undertone may change at different times of the year, when you’re getting more sun exposure or developing paler skin. The best way to figure out what works best for you is to test a few shades on your skin, and see what looks and feels right.
3. Highlighting and Enhancing: Contouring Tips
Create definition and depth: Mastering the art of contouring is one of the best ways to shape and sculpt your face. Give your cheekbones an added lift, or add definition to your jawline. By using a dark and light shade of bronzer, you can create the illusion of depth and definition to your face.
Product selection: Choosing the right products for your skin type is essential for achieving a natural-looking contour. Look for bronzers and highlighters that are matte in texture, and pick shades that are slightly darker and lighter than your natural skin tone. For best results, you can invest in a contouring palette that contains various shades so you can customise your look.
Shape up: Here’s a quick outline for achieving that perfect chiseled look:
- Begin by applying a small amount of your contour product to the sides of your nose. Make sure to blend outward for a seamless finish.
- Lightly define your jawline and cheekbones with the contour product. Again, the key here is to blend, blend, blend!
- After you are done contouring, you can apply your highlighter to the highest points of your face. This will help to create an illusion of light and brightness in certain areas.
- Finish off by applying a touch of blush to the apples of your cheeks. This will give your face a natural-looking glow.
Clean sweep: Now, the last step is to make sure your contour looks are seamless and blended. After you have finished sculpting your face, use a big fluffy brush to sweep away any harsh lines or edges. This will ensure that your face looks naturally contoured and not overly made up.
4. Unlocking Your Natural Glow with the Right Contour Shade
Are you trying to get that perfect contour look without ending up caked in makeup? If so, choosing the right contour shade is essential! Here are some helpful tips for finding your ideal contour shade and unlocking your natural glow.
- Choose the right undertone. Depending on your skin tone, you may want to opt for a dark, cool undertone, like a gray-brown, to achieve a natural look, or a warm, light brown shade for a bit more color.
- Know your skin type. If you have dry skin, you’ll want to use a cream contour to help retain moisture. If your skin is oily, however, you’ll want to stick to a powder contour so that your makeup won’t budge.
- Survey the selection. Before making your purchase, experiment by swatching to get a sense for how the contour will look once it’s applied. This can help you choose the perfect shade for your complexion.
Once your ideal contour shade has been selected, you can apply it like a pro. Make sure that you’re blending, blurring, and buffing the product in to maintain your natural glow. To achieve an effortless contour look, use a blending sponge to soften the edges.
It’s also critical to use the right tools. Don’t be afraid to invest in quality contour brushes and sponges. Quality tools will not only ensure a smoother application, but will also guarantee that your look will last all day!
Finding your ideal contour shade is key to unlocking your inner glow. Follow these tips and you’ll be on your way to achieving a natural, stunning look.
No matter what skin tone you have, there’s a contour shade perfect for you. With the right knowledge, practice, and care, you’ll have your contouring game on lock and look your absolute best, each and every day!